Dandruff is very a common condition that affects nearly 50% of the people. An itchy scalp and flakiness are the signs of dandruff. It’s not only on the scalp but also affects the ears, side of nose, eyebrows, beard and hairy chest. Dandruff also called as ‘Seborrhoea’ and ‘Seborrheic dermatitis’. The exact cause of dandruff is unknown. But various factors increase the risk. Sometimes dandruff areas turned into pink and red inflamed skin. Dandruff can be embarrassing and difficult to treat, but remedies are available.
Causes of Dandruff
- Dry skin: People with dry skin more likely to have this problem.
- Shampooing hair: Certain products contain harmful chemicals, cause itchy and scaling scalp.
- Not enough Hair brushing: Regular combing and brushing the hair reduce dandruff problem.
- Emotional and mental stress: Reduce mental stress by doing yoga or other interesting activities.
- Poor hygiene and diet: taking poor hygiene food and not taking enough vitamins namely B, zinc can increase the risk.
- Chronic health condition: Know about your health condition and try to cure the problem.
- Yeast: Yeast might be one of the causes to increase dandruff.
Best home remedies for Dandruff
If you completely depend on dandruff shampoo skip that and try these best home remedies for dandruff treatment. Sure, you will get the better results.
Tea tree Oil
Apple cider vinegar
1. Fenugreek Pack
Fenugreek seeds are the extremely best remedy for dandruff since ancient time. Because these seeds contain nicotinic and proteins which are highly effective in getting rid of dandruff.
- Soak 3-4 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water overnight (8 hours).
- Grind the fenugreek seeds and take the paste in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to the paste.
- Apply the paste on your scalp and hair.
- Lets dry it for 30 minutes.
- Finally, wash it with lukewarm water.
2. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a natural remedy for dandruff as it moisturizes the scalp that helps to restore scalp health and reduce flaky skin.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil (depends on the length of your hair).
- Heat the oil on the stove, do not make it too hot.
- Dip your fingers into the oil and use them to massage on your scalp smoothly.
- Massage your scalp 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes before washing it off with good condition shampoo.
Lemon contains citric acid that helps to balance the pH of your scalp and fight dandruff from the roots of the hair follicles.
- Take 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Mix it with 2 tbsp of coconut oil or Aloe Vera.
- Massage on your scalp for 5- 10 minutes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes then wash with lukewarm water and good shampoo.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains Oleic acid and monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid which helps to soften the flakes and dissolve excess oil and dirt from your hair follicles.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- Warm it for a while do not make it too hot.
- Take oil with your fingers and massage smoothly on your scalp at least 5- 10 minutes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes then wash it with lukewarm water and good shampoo.
Amla contains oodles of essential fatty acids, which helps to strengthen your hair and best remedy for dandruff.
- Extract juice from fresh Amla and add 2 tbsp of lemon in it then mix well.
- Apply this over your scalp smoothly.
- Leave it for 30 minutes then wash it with lukewarm water.
6. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is proven to have powerful anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties which helps to fight with fungus and severity of dandruff.
- Ensure about your mild shampoo.
- Add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil to your Shampoo (mild) and shake vigorously.
- Massage on your scalp gently rinses with lukewarm water.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains antioxidant and antibacterial properties which used to treat burns, dental plaque, treating for cancer sores and dandruff.
- Cut off some Aloe Vera leaves, remove the spines.
- Remove the bottom and top layers of leaves.
- Now extract gel from leaves and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice then mix well.
- Apply it on your scalp gently.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash with mild shampoo.
8. Neem juice
Neem is called panacea as it has so many medical properties. Neem is the best antibacterial which reduces dandruff.
- Take some neem leaves and grind it to make the paste.
- You can add 2 tbsp lemon juice for more results.
- Apply it on your scalp gently and leave it for 30 minutes to dry.
- Wash it with warm water and shampoo.
Garlic is an excellent natural and herbal remedy for dandruff. It contains allicin, anti-fungal, and anti-candida which helps to reduce dandruff.
- Take 5-6 garlic cloves (based on your requirement) and mash it with a garlic press to make a paste.
- Add 2 tbsp of honey or coconut oil and mix well.
- Apply that on your scalp gently wash after 30 minutes with a mild shampoo.
10. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has acetic acid. It is the best remedy for dandruff.
- Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar (1/4 cup each) in a spray bottle.
- Spray on your after shampoo.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and wash it with warm water.